Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A tiny seizure on Monday

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I had a seizure; the good news is that it was a little one and I had not had one in almost two months. This was my fifth one and it was very, very mild. It happened when I was taking my afternoon nap and my dad got home from visiting my mom at her new work. I woke up startled and I had my little seizure. Dad said that I was very brave and I was not even scared. He just stayed with me and comforted me until it was over. Thank God for dad...


Joyce said...

Dear Alfred,

My name is Connie, and I'm a three year old pug from Norway. I scared my mommy and dad the other night when i had my first seizure and it was bad. My legs were stiff and my mom said i stopped breathing for a while. We were at the vets today and all my tests came back normal.

I was wondering if you are taking any medication? My mom is really sad and scared cause I'm their baby and they don't like to see me sick.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hugs from Connie

Alfred the Pug said...

Dear Connie,
I am sorry to hear about your seizures. I am also three years old and I started having seizures after having my teeth cleaned at the vet more than a year ago. The vet does not know why the seizures started because I had never had any, not even after I was neutered.

I still have seizures every once in a while--maybe once a month or less frequently--but I am not on medication. For a while, my parents kept track of things that I did or that happened right before I had a seizure, so your parents should also keep a log to see what triggers the seizures.

My sister Stella, who is a beautiful black pug) is epileptic and she is on medication. She takes phenobarbital and potassium bromide twice a day. If she misses a dose, she has a seizure within 24 hours, so my parents have to really watch it. You can check out Stella's blog ( where she rambles about all things including her epilepsy.

All the best from your pal, Alf